Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Gilgamesh Modernized

Interested in what critics had to say?  New York Times review


   My Gilgamesh

At Barnes and Noble
this past Sunday night
after I thought
I had spent
a profitless day
looking at
Easter hats
in front of
St. Patrick’s Cathedral
I found Stephen Mitchell’s
translation of Gilgamesh
telling of one who had
seen all
who had felt all
who had journeyed
to the edge of the world
who carved his trials
on stone tablets
who restored the
holy Eanna Temple
sacred to Ishta
and slew Humbaba in
the cedar forest then lost
the marvelous plant
which was the antidote
to the fear of death
and finally resolved his grief
with a walk on the wall of Urek
observing its gleaming ramparts
its glorious palaces and marketplaces.

My eyes ran with this verse
I was like the watcher of the skies
who sees a new planet swim into view
and I was like the beguiled poet who read
Chapman’s Homer first time.

Gail Tuch

Reminder that the March book is not just any old Gilgamesh...it is the version by Stephen Mitchell.  Don't show up with your old college version and think you can talk myths at the March meeting. ( February's review of  In the Garden of the Beasts is below."

No comments:

Post a Comment