Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 16, 2014

More Comments on Are You My Mother? this time from R.M.

I was very taken with reading your blog posting and B. B's blog posting.  Boy, am I sorry that I missed the meeting!!  I do agree with B B that when having a discussion of a book (any book) the best way to start is to voice the positive aspects of the book.  An exciting meeting, however, doesn't have to be all positive and some of the best meetings were those where the members disagreed (sometimes very strongly).  What bothers me most is that the group seems to have taken the message of the book itself and made it a personal rebuke against THEM rather than to see how the author was influenced by these analysts in HER story. We often veer off into personal stories and ideas, but then we always return to the book.    I am not knowledgeable about these analysts and their theories (here's where KK would have been a great help), but I don't think that they were what made the book less than a true pleasure for me. I actually did not LIKE the person who wrote the book (about herself), and so I was not fully engaged.  I think that it is important to find something likable or interesting about a character (in this case the author--since it is a memoir) in order to fully enjoy a book.

True R.  I think any person willing to reveal all of their flaws in the hopes of gaining peace and understanding is interesting and someone to admire. Thus my being moved by both books.

B. 

No comments:

Post a Comment