Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 14, 2016

MISLAID by Nell Zink: Discussion Notes

Waited way too long to post the comments.  Since I left my copy home, couldn't keep notes in the margin. Perhaps the borders of my brain have retained some marginalia.  So here goes:

The quirky novel satirizes the American south of the 1960's.  Including:  Its view of race.  Attitudes towards gender and sexual identity. Traditional gender roles. The institution of marriage. The literary world of professors, celebrity poets and poetry critics. Zink, who now lives in Germany, has abandoned the America that she grew up in.  She said in an interview that from afar America feels like a third world country like Brazil. Thus the harsh humor?

Also Zink was married to a poet for a time. Could that be way she included this description about one celebrity poet?

"One of them brought along a Ouija board and let spirits write his poems." [page 18]

Just one sentence out of a whole passage of devastatingly hilarious comments.

Image result for nell zink

Much to the joy of the sponsor, me, the novel was well received.  This novel...similar in structure to a Shakespeare comedy--has characters switch races and sexual roles, disappear for a while, and then reconnect to make a happy ending. It was a good amusing read for all (or most.)  Even non-attendees liked it...they weren't avoiding the discussion!  Surprising to me, because my quick reread made me sorry I recommended the book.   I realized that it is not a book to skim; the plot is not what it is about. Enjoy it slowly.  Savor the humor.

And once again, a popular book, made for a shorter discussion.  T---p dominated the discussion. I will not spell out his name.  Perhaps we are a third world country as Zink suggests.

Next Up:

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante

No comments:

Post a Comment